Thursday, June 14, 2007

Tatoos and other things

I am just curious about something and wondering if others feel as I do.

I was outside and two young ladies from the company next door walked by. I am guessing they are somewhere in their 20's. Both were wearing sleeveless tank tops and both had a tattoo the full length of one arm from the shoulder to the wrist. I couldn't clearly see the little parts of the designs except they were scenes which included mountains, flowers, butterflies and on one, a 6" spider. As they passed closer to me, I could also see one had her eyebrow and nose pierced.

When I was their age, the only people who had tattos were sailors. Now, it seems that every 20 something and older has a tatoo on most visible parts of their bodies.

This makes me wonder. What happens when all these kids are 60 years of age and older. How cute will tatoos be from the shoulder to the wrist, around the legs, on the backside, on which all the colors are bleeding into one faded blob of blues, reds, greens, not to mention wrinkled lines which obscure anything which may once have been a work of art. How cute will the facial piercings look when the little bolt is hidden in the creases. Not too pretty I am guessing.

That's my observation for today. I am curious to see how others feel about tatoos and other body fixings.

9 comments:

Midlife Mom said...

Hey Moose Buyer thanks for stopping by! Is it Joan the Librarian that is your cousin? I hope you saw my moose pictures on my WW last week and then I had some moose pictures taken on the coast of Maine a while back. I'm going to read up on your posts to find out your fascination with moose. Right now I'm trying to get caught up as I have a sick horse and have been tending to him. Stop by again soon. Yes, that path to my sons house is lovely, I enjoy it every time I walk over.

Midlife Mom said...

PS About the tatoos. I think they will be very sorry when they hit my age or older and those things are around their ankles! My grandfather was a sailor and had a lady on his forearm and she sure got saggy as years went by! heehee!

the moose buyer said...

yes, I see your moose pictures last week and also yes, Joan and Lynn "tired mama' are my cousins. Our moms were sisters.

If you go to May 25 "the Moose" I explain the moose and my blog title. I am a member of the Women of the Moose.

Hope your horse gets well. I know how tough it is to treat horses

Lynn said...

I keep visualizing a rose that becomes a long stem rose with age.

Anonymous said...

I almost got a rose, lower left side of tummy. Girlfriend dared me, but in my heart of hearts I did't want to go. Was unable to find a parlor that was open - whew - and that was 30 years ago! I have a nice stretch mark now where the rose would have been.
I also get to field questions from long-standing co-workers about enrolling or installing others with tatoos. Unless the tats are gang-related, no problem! Then there was the Senior Regent who wore a skirt to the floor to be installed to hide hers. Sigh!

Cherie said...

Forms of self-expression in a more and more homogenized world where it has become harder and harder to show individuality. It takes awhile for young skin to wrinkle up to the point you describe, so I guess the years of enjoying the tats and piercings will be worth it for those acquiring them in youth. I've seen some really pretty tats, and interesting piercings, too. Maybe the blessing here is that eyes fail as skin ages - so the effects won't be so noticed by the ones wearing these decorations, once they do become, as Lynn visualizes, long stemmed roses. :-)

the moose buyer said...

Carol, I cannot imagine you with a tatoo. Ironically, our old Moose Lodge is now a tatoo parlor but since the thought of needles scare the crap out of me, I haven't been temped to walk in.

Cherie, the small tatoos are ok but these were from the shoulder to the wrist all around the arm. It just doesn't seem ladylike to me I guess.Call me old fashioned.

Patti said...

I guess I'm old fashioned too then, Moosie.

I have pierced ears, but that's it

Unknown said...

I thought several times about getting a small tattoo but the thing that stops me (besides the thought of pain) is what it would look like years from now.