Tuesday, June 12, 2007

STARTING TO PACK

It's only 4 days until I leave for Iowa and unlike my cousin Joan who makes lists way ahead, I am at the stage where my suitcase is cleaned out and placed in the family room to be packed. I don't make lists. Maybe if like Joan I was making a trip across the ocean, I would be more organized but I am only going to another state which has everything readily available I might forget to pack.

I actually have been piling stuff near near the suitcase. Some items I will take and some I will discard after they are in the suitcase, deciding it's really not something I need. What I have done is sent a box ahead to Iowa with some stuff which would have taken too much room. They are birthday gifts for Carla my best bud whose birthday was last week. On the top of the box, I put "do not open until I get there" and Art, the man of the house wisely put it in the front closet to wait for me. Out of sight, out of mind and Carla won't be tempted to peek and then apologise for her curiousity. Actually she wouldn't do that but I am the most curious person so I probably would.

I am mentally ready to be on my way. Art and Carla (fellow Moose members) moved to Iowa last October and although Carla and I speak via phone and E-mail almost every day, it will be wonderful to be able to just sit and visit in person. I have really missed them both very much, especially at our Moose Family Center where the three of us spent a lot of time. It's not quite the same for me since they left. I have many close friends there but Carla and Art are like my siblings, and being involved in the Moose with them was something I always loved because we not only share a love for the lodge but also a close "family" relationship. Carla's daughters and grandkids also live there. I am also anxious to spend time visiting with them.

Besides Art and Carla, my own brother Frank will also be there. When I decided to make this visit, Frank who lives in Georgia, decided to join me up there and should be arriving at the airport about a half hour before me. I just can't wait to hug the three of them.

The next 4 days will take forever. I will pack a little each night and count the hours until I leave Saturday morning. Boy am I ready for this trip!!!

4 comments:

Patti said...

Sounds like it's going to be a great time for all.

Lynn said...

IS EVERYBODY LEAVING TOWN BUT ME? Have a safe trip. Can't wait to hear about it when you return. Give Frank a big hug from me! Mom sends her love (to Frank of course...since he's obviously her favorite!)

the moose buyer said...

Lynn, Joyce is always there for you!!! Yes I will give Frank a hug from mom and I will work on him to get his butt out here to spend time with her because "sigh" he is her favorite.

Patti - you can't imagine how excited I am (well the thought of tornados and thunderstorms are not exciting). We haven't seen my brother in quite a few years because he travels for business so much, but he is still has the same funny little kid personality.

Joan said...

I'll be thinking of you and Iowa while I'm away. Enjoy your time with Art, Carla and that brother of yours!