Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Do any planes take off on time?? Not Really!!!!

Now that I have been back for a day and settled down, it's time to comment on airports, airlines, surviving late flights, lost luggage and airplane seat neighbors.

First, Los Angeles International Airport is a ZOO and I give so much credit to the men and women who work there. It's an absolute madhouse day or middle of the night.

When I got to the airport last Saturday morning 6:00 past dark in the morning, the line to check in my luggage had to have 300 people. I decided to walk outside to see if the curb check in was any better. Fortunately, I chose the door where about 10 college guys were checking in to head on home for the summer. Behind them was a 10 foot space for people crossing the street and the check in line with about 50 people continued past the space. As I stood there in shock and commented mostly to myself how mad this turmoil was, a couple of the young men smiled at me and asked if I would like to be their luggage check in chaparone and join their group. I wondered for a second if they were serious but they were (plus no one in the line was paying any attention) so I accepted their generous offer and within 5 minutes of getting to the airport, my luggage was checked. I need not have worried about time being an issue because the leaving time was delayed 45 minutes giving me 3 hours to worry how I would make the next plane, since I only had scheduled an hour wait between planes in St. Louis.

Once I was squishly seated (even though I have lost 144 lbs, it was a tight fit but I no long require the seat belt extender which is nice)and the plane took off, my two seatmates brought out their breakfast (note to airport security - while checking for whatever you check for, lighters, any liquids etc, look for homemade food, especially cooked fish to confiscate). The smell about made me die, but I was next to the window, and trapped. They kindly offered to share with me but I politely told them I never eat breakfast so early in the morning (note to God - thanks for not allowing me to get sick). I wonder if this kind couple realized that my hand was over my face for most of the trip?

Once we got into St. Louis, I ran (amazing revelation since I hadn't been able to run for 20 years due to my weight) and got to the next gate to find out the takeoff was delayed about 10 minutes (thank God because I was having trouble catching my breath being completely bent over). Got into Des Moines only to find out my suitcase didn't make the same flight (even though the airport said it was still there at 10:00 PM and they would hold it for me, when Carla and I ran back to the airport, it was in transit to the house and beat us there by 15 minutes).

For the return trip home, we got to the airport to find out there was at least an hour delay in taking off to Dallas. The airline personnel weren't sure I would make the connecting flight so they booked the next flight to Los Angeles 3 hours later. When I got to Dallas, there was still 10 minutes to spare for my original ticket so again it was a race (this time on the tram and halls) to the gate only to find out that this flight too was an hour late leaving (again thanking God for letting me catch my breath and giving me time for a quick potty break). Instead of arriving at 10:00 PM Los Angeles time, we arrived at 11:00. Including the wait for the pick up service and trip home, the return trip home took 10 hours (1:00 AM Los Angeles time) but at least my suitcase was still with me. I was whipped!!

Along the way, I learned from fellow passengers that almost EVERY flight on EVERY airline is late. It didn't make any difference what Airline people were flying, we all had to sit an extra half an hour or more. Everyone is frustrated and I can almost understand people going ballistic with impatience. Those travelling with children must endure these lengthy delays while trying to corral the kids and keeping them occupied so they don't annoy anyone, which we all know if very difficult. The airline personnel do their best but there is no way they can deal with every unhappy customer and unfortunately most of us are very unhappy, and it's so easy to take the anger out on those who are the front guard while the airline CEO, vice Presidents and directors sit in their confortable huge office or fly on personal comfy jets.

So that's my travel experience. Fortunately the visit with my brother and friends made up for all the hassle. I loved Iowa and can't wait to return only maybe I will drive the next time!!!

7 comments:

Midlife Mom said...

Boy did I feel your frustration in the flying department! I am not a good flyer and have to quite often and find all of these delays very frustrating and tiring. There must be a better way but like you say they all have the same problem so I guess it just goes with the territory. I can't believe those people brought FISH on the plane to eat! I would have barfed! Good job not doing that! lol!

Lynn said...

What an ordeal! I hate to say it, but I am so glad that it was you sitting next to the 'fish people' and not me...I would have been barfing up a storm. EWWWWWW!

the moose buyer said...

I have to admit it took everything not to barf. I had my hand over my mouth and nose for at least an hour before the flight attendent came around with drinks. By then they were done and she immediately whisked the bag away with her.

I still say security should be checking for food while they are doing the shakedown of lighters, shoes and bags and anything liquid in plastic bottles.

Ralph said...

Moose, I really understand the problems of the flying thing. With the wheelchair, I try to allow as much time as possible to connect. I remember the first flight I took with the chair, I took only a 34 minute connection in Cleveland, and that isn't enough tome even if you can walk! To make matters worse, I checked my wheelchair to my final destination...what a zoo! I haven't seen LAX since I left the Olympics visit in 1984, and it seemed the same as you describe!

Joan said...

Welcome home! Wow...your flight "adventures" make mine look tame. 3 of our 4 flights went without a hitch (thankfully) while the 4th was delayed as they went looking for a plane to take us home...they found one in a hanger to use...and the flight was only delayed an hour in Atlanta. While the flights went well, let's not talk about our experiences in the Dublin and Atlanta airports...pure unadulterated chaos!!! We'll definitely need to get together to share horror stories!

Anonymous said...

yes, Joan A, we do need to get together and share travel stories.

I also have love and hugs for you, Lynn and mom from mom's favorite long haired boy.

Patti said...

sorry to read of your l-o-n-g adventure to get back home. Driving might be a better solution next time.