Tuesday, June 5, 2007

APPOINTMENT #2 WITH DENTAL DRAGON

As I am sitting here at home, having half my face just beginning to thaw out, I figure it's a good time to make dental observances which one has time to do when one is sitting in the dentist's chair being worked on for 4 hours.

First, no matter how high tech the sonic drill is, it still makes that horrible sound and one still smells the burning teeth!! Second, even when the dentist puts some anesthetic cream on before inserting the needle to freeze the area, it still hurts (well I did say I was a baby about this whole thing). Third, once the dentist starts using the drill, the water starts with it. No matter how big the suction thing the assistant uses, even when the suction thing is strong enough to swallow the inside of your cheeks, it still doesn't pick up enough liquid, and there is a fountain of water spurting all over the face and glasses. Oh I forgot to mention that before she started, the dentist handed me some designer, wrap around sunglasses to wear so that the light she uses while she in buried in my mouth wouldn't blind me. She didn't have to worry about my being blinded. With all that water spurting over my face, I couldn't have kept my eyes open anyway.

Where was I, oh yes item four. The rubber thingy the dentist puts in your mouth to keep it open, doesn't stay in place and is soon sliding forward forcing you try to push it back with your tongue, a very difficult maneuver considering half your mouth and face is frozen. Fifth, I can't for the life of my figure out why someone can't invent some tooth cleaning stuff which doesn't taste bitter. I guess the bitter scares the bacteria, but if you swallow just a bit, it's awful and the taste lingers much too long.

Anyway, I survived the appointment and the work on the two broken teeth (at least she did both at one time for which I am very grateful) and a very severe cleaning. I have temporary caps which will last until I get back from Iowa. Right now like I said when I started, the freezing is disappearing and there is some pounding ache (feels like I have been socked in the jaw) which I hope will be gone by the time I have to go to work in the morning. I have some Tylenol if I need it in order to sleep.

When I get back, we will start on phase two, the permanent caps for the two teeth she fixed today, and the root canal on other side of my mouth plus having one tooth which is beyond repair pulled.

This appointment wasn't terribly horrible but not a fun day in the park either, but I am determined to see the entire job through and hopefully, won't have to do this for another 4 years...well maybe 5 or 6 years!!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Glad you survived round #2;~)

Joan said...

Glad you made it through in almost one piece. If you went to the dentist every SIX MONTHS (not every 4 or 5 or 6 years), you wouldn't have to be doing this tooth torture!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can handle every 6 months. There are just things I hate to do and this tops the list.