Thursday, May 31, 2007

TO THE DENTIST I MUST GO!!

I have a dentist appointment this afternoon and my stomach has butterflies the size of bats. I hate going to the dentist more than almost anything and for this reason, I have allowed my teeth to fall into ruin. I absolutely cannot postpone this visit any longer as a back tooth has broken in half. It doesn't hurt but if I ignore it, sooner or later it will begin so I have to bite the bullet (with my remaining teeth) and pay the piper (or in this case the dentist).

This dentist I am going to see is not only a new dentist for me (the office just opened about 2 months ago within a mile of my house) but also a woman. I have never been to a woman dentist before. I don't know her age,or how long she has been a dentist, so I don't know if she has ever faced a patient with the horrible fears like mine. Even taking X-rays scare me. I don't know why I feel this way. I don't remember a particularly terrible experience as a child. I even suffered through braces and having my wisdom teeth pulled so there really is no logical reason, but it does exist and I can't deny the fear.

So I will be as brave as I can be, take a box of kleenix in case of tears,plus my insurance and credit cards. I know there is more than one tooth which requires attention and I think I will have her do whatever it takes (including whatever extractions and bridges are required), with as many appointments it takes to bring all my teeth up to par (I can't believe I just wrote that line).

Please wish me luck as I go face my personal dragon!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been in your shoes. But I found that the dentist I went to was very understanding and took his time with me. The first time I went he just had me sit in the chair and try to open my mouth for him. He didn't do any work on that visit at all. Once I realized that he wasn't going to hurt me, I relaxed. Good luck.

Joan said...

Don't worry...you'll do fine...that's what drugs are for!!! And don't be worried if you walk in and see what you think must be a child in a dentist's coat...I'm guessing we're old enough to be your new dentist's mothers because all my healthcare providers seem that way these days.

the moose buyer said...

I only wish there was a way for me to be knocked out for all procedures then revived when it was over.

I agree with you Joan, everyone seems younger than me these days including sports figures, police officers and even the President.

Patti said...

good luck ~ I am in the same predicament. I have not been to the dentist in ages.

I am so excited to finally see the moose photo! My afternoon is complete.

Patti said...

P.S. Your blog looks really nice

Renee Nefe said...

I haven't been in ages and I haven't taken DD since she was 2. We should really go, but I need someone to recommend a good one...not just the two that go to my church.

Lynn said...

I don't mind going to the dentist at all...no siree...I just mind that they want to actually work on my mouth. Hope it went well.

the moose buyer said...

I survived the dentist and will write a blog of the entire experience from the office.

Patti, thanks for the moose compliment. It really makes me happy to have him part of my blog thanks to my wonderful talented cousin Joan. I always knew she would come in handy some day.

Joan said...

Is that all I am to you...handy?!?!? Oh well, I guess that's a good thing. :~D

the moose buyer said...

Joan, no that's not all you are to me. Next to mom, you and Lynn are the closest blood family we have and that's what I treasure most.

Your computer skills - well that's a great bonus for me.