Friday, May 25, 2007

The "Moose"

When I started blogging, my cousin Joan asked what title I wanted. Well I am a buyer and have been for a very long time. My very favorite buy was the moose head for our new Moose Family Center so it seemed logical to use that title. I have been meaning to post the picture to explain the title and even though I have had the picture a couple of months, this is the first chance I have had to add him.

Every Moose Family Center (or lodge) is required to have at least one moose head. Before we moved into our new lodge 5 years ago, the moose head we had looked like the poor pathetic one from the TV show Northern Exposure. Once we were in our new, beautiful lodge, it was decided that we had to have a moose befitting our new digs.

I went on E-Bay (yes, you can buy moose heads on E-bay) and found this guy. Moose heads are very expensive about $2500.00 each for one like ours (I have no idea why anyone outside of a Moose Lodge would want one but people apparently do) so I watched every day and at the last minute placed our bid. Lo and behold, we won this guy. The people selling him were in Canada. I was born and raised in Canada, so I e-mailed the seller, told him who I was and where I was born and explained that his Moose which I had just purchased would grace a beautiful new Moose Lodge to be seen by many, many people. The seller was overjoyed. While he couldn't reduce the price of the moose, he did split the cost of shipping (it costs $700.00 to ship a moose head from Canada because they weigh a lot. It took 4 guys to hang him) and instead of using the American dollar rate, he used the Canadian dollar (at that time worth about 62 cents) so the cost was reduced further.

That's the story on my blog title. Our beautiful moose (only a Moose member would think it beautiful) has been greeting visitors for 5 years. The best part is the look on a child's face when they see a real moose for the first time. Many a father has raised their child above their heads to pet this moose. This is why our special moose is my very favorite purchase.

4 comments:

Patti said...

Hi MB! Thanks for the explanation.
A photo of said head would be great.

I'll be checking back...

Anonymous said...

And to think when I clicked on your blog this morning I was wondering where you got that name. I'm proud of you! Not everyone has that accomplishment in their portfolio. I'm a little jealous, too, of course.

the moose buyer said...

Carol, you of all people should have guess that I would be involved in finding the moose. When the guys learned the price they were horrified but once they saw the Moose they loved him.

Patti, some of the big Moose family Centers have much more impressinve Moose but we do love ours.

Joan said...

I can honestly report (from first hand sight) that it's one cool moose!