Friday, August 31, 2007

This and That

First, I would like to thank Patti for the "Blogging Star" award. I am not sure I deserve it, since I can't seem to post the award on my blog, but I have asked Joan to do it for me, so hopefully, it will appear soon. Joan and I are meeting on Sept 13th for blogging classes. We will probably visit and do lunch too.

Last night Lynn and I had the chance to visit. I have been trying to convince her to take our grandmother's 1905 Singer sewing machine (with all the gold fru fru) before I move to Iowa. I really don't want it to go out of our family which it might if I take it with me. Lynn hasn't exactly said no but she hasn't agreed either. Last night while we were discussing it, my aunt who has very short term memory suddenly popped into the conversation with "I learned to sew on that machine". I looked at Lynn and asked how she could possibly turn it down. She agreed to think about it before I move. Lynn and I also discussed family members, namely our great aunts and uncles, plus other strange relatives. Fortunately my aunt does remember them so she could participate in that conversation also, which was very nice. I keep reminding both Lynn and Joan that I am the only cousin who actually old enough to remember these people and we have got to get the names and who they all were related to in writing so there is reference for future generations. I will also push Joan about this when I see her and maybe the three of us can get together and do this. My aunt also has very old pictures of all these people, but if I remember correctly, a few years ago, the three of us went through the pictures and put the names of the people on the backs. I must ask Lynn to check and see if we really did that or if it's wishful thinking on my part.

I didn't think it could get any hotter but it is. It may still be 109 outside but it's a little muggier (is this a real word) and seems much hotter than it did two days ago. I think I heard the plants sobbing when I went outside for lunch.

Big Moose weekend on tap. Tonight is our annual Hoe Down. Fortunately it's not as hot where I live as where I work and it will cool off to about 75 when the sun goes down, so it should be a fun evening.

Tomorrow morning it's off to another lodge for a Chapter meeting in full College Regalia. This is why I had to have my gown lengthened a few weeks ago. Most of us who wear the Regalia also have little battery operated fans, which we use if necessary. Maybe tomorrow it might just be necessary.

Outside of these functions, it's Labor Day weekend so there might even be a bar-b-que or two. Fortunately, with this heat, I am not really super tempted to eat heavily. Without exercising, I have still managed to lose a couple of pounds in August. As long as I am still losing weight, why strain myself with exercise???

Hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend and the chance to visit with friends and family.

10 comments:

Linda said...

Congrats on the award from Patti! I'm sure Joan will be able to help you get it posted, it's not too hard so maybe once she shows you, you'll be able to post pictures, etc.

Sounds like you have a nice weekend on tap - hope the weather eases a little bit at the least!

And yes, muggier is definitely a word - we suffer from it constantly out here in the Northeast! Ugh!!

Carole Burant said...

Congratulations on the award:-) It took me a while to figure out how to put things on my sidebar but once I learned, then there was no stopping me! lol It is very important to put names and dates on the back of pictures...nothing more frustrating than looking at old pictures and not knowing who they are of and when they were taken! Sounds like a fun weekend planned...I'm just planning on taking it easy:-) Hopefully you'll soon have some cooler temps...over here it only went up to 67f today so it was nice and cool! xox

Patti said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the award on your sidebar, Moosie.

I tried to get my mother (who is about your aunt's age) interested in genealogy but it didn't work. I thought it would be a good hobby for her.
She is not one to look at old family photos and reminisce.

the moose buyer said...

when I was young (before Lynn and Joan were born) our great aunts and uncles would come up to a summer house we had in Canada so I not only got to know them but also listened to the family stories. That's why I have been trying to get the girls to sit down with me. Neither the girls nor my brother (3 yrs younger than me but never interested in listening to the stories) and sister (who by the way was born when I was almost 16) know the names of our 2nd cousins or their kids so it's important to me to get this down for Lynn's kids.

Joan said...

OK OK we need to do a family tree. You start it and Lynn and I will help.

BTW...I've posted your award for you and will show you how when we meet. Trust me...you can do it AND post photos. I have faith in you.

Have a great weekend.

Lynn said...

I think that Joan has a great idea...you start the family tree, and Joan and I will appreciate it;~)

the moose buyer said...

ok cousins I will start a list of relatives on our Grandmother's side because this is the family I know. Lynn, pls talk to mom (gently) and see how much of our Grandfather's history she knows. Pls ask when he came to N.Y. and see if she remembers anything about his family. I know she remembers the past. Question is how much of the past!!!

Michele said...

I wish that someone on my husband's side was able to identify people in photographs before they all passed away because now to this day, we have black and white/ sepia photos of folks that we will never be able to identify because everyone is too young to remember them. It's a good idea to write names now asap... we can only guess and assume but it's not accurate.

I hope your Labor Day weekend was wonderful!

Midlife Mom said...

So sorry it's still so hot! We have had some relief with temps in the high 70's and no humidity. Yippee! My Mom and I went through a big box of pictures a few years ago and put the names on the backs of them. Good thing she remembered as I didn't know half of them till she said the names. I can't put things on my side bar either, I have to get my niece dcrmom to put them on for me. Should have had her show me how to do it while she was here on vacation. Rats!

Patti said...

Yay! Joan posted the award for you. Looks good, Moosie.