Wednesday, August 29, 2007

110 IN THE SHADE

It's 110 here today. I was just outside and it's not quite as bad as it might have been if it was muggy out. It's actually quite dry but I am very happy that I don't work outside. There is a crew tearing up part of the parking lot. Unfortunately, they are completely in the sun, using a jackhammer. I cannot imagine how unconfortable it is for those guys, and I don't envy them one little bit.

My cousin Joan's home air conditioning is out, but fortunately she is at work today, and if I remember correctly, it's supposed to be repaired today. For her sake, I sure hope it is because I can't imagine how awful it is to come home to a very hot house. I am fortunate enough to live in a beach town where it's 15 degrees cooler and by the time I get home, the heat has started to deminish. It's been running about 75 at night. I do have air conditioning, but try not to run it during the day because of the expense. I turn it on auto pilot when I get home and set it for 78 degrees so by the time I am ready for bed, the house is quite bearable enough to turn off the air and run the overhead fan all night.

This part of California (southern) has been hit by drought for 2 years. We have had only 2 inches of rain during this time. Any moisture from Heaven would be truly welcome, but nothing is predicted any time in the near future. It's sad to look at the hills across the office parking lot and see only brown and beige and fire everywhere is a constant threat.

Still, I consider myself lucky to live where I do, and if I must spend the day in a place where it's 110 outside in the shade, at least I can spend it in a very comfortable air conditioned environment. Still, it would be nicer to spend my days at the beach!!!!!

7 comments:

Lynn said...

The beach sounds great...just a little reminder, there are no beaches in Iowa.

Carole Burant said...

I don't think I would survive those kinds of temps...I find 80 too hot! lol We've been having much cooler days over here and it feels so good...right now it's 57F so with the windows wide open, it will be perfect sleeping weather:-) xox

Patti said...

eek! 110 degrees ... in the shade! that would not be a happy time for me.

Joan said...

Get me to a beach town fast!!! Oh...and I still think you need to visit Iowa in the dead of summer...and winter too!

the moose buyer said...

Joan/Lynn, the best part of having cousins in California is that I can visit in the winter/summer. I have figured based on country visits by your folks and the two of you, I should have a lot of hours reserved. Oh plus I must have credit on file for living with our grandmother!!!

Patti/pea, 110 hasn't been too bad because it really super dry. It's the muggy weather I have trouble with.

Linda said...

I would love to live somewhere that gets no hotter than 75 during the day and drops to a comfy 55 for sleeping overnight but alas, I live in an area that turns sauna like in the summer and freezes in the winter. Sigh ...

Thank goodness autumn is not too far off!

Patti said...

Like Linda I can't wait for fall here in Ct.

Moosie, stop by ~ you have an award awaiting you.

;-)