Thursday, September 6, 2007

Goodbye to a close family friend

The obituary reads Fay Shuster passed away Monday. She was 87 years old and until my mom passed away 26 years ago, they were best friends from childhood. My siblings and I actually owed our lives to her because it was at a party in 1938 at Fay and her late husband Sam's house where my parents met. Dad was the date (casual) of Margie, a friend of mom and Fay. I never knew who mom's date was but apparently she and dad must have hit it off, because they married in April of 1940 and the rest as they say is history. Fay, Sam and my parents were as close as Lucy, Ricky, Fred and Ethel.

Fay and Sam and their three children were always a part of our family. They lived within 3 blocks of our house and either they were at our house or we were at theirs. Sam passed away in 1966 after a very long illness and even though Fay was only in her mid forties, I don't think she ever got over losing him. She was one of the kindest, gentle people I have ever known. A true treasure to everyone who knew her.

I never remember a time when Fay and mom weren't friends. I don't think they ever had an argument where they didn't speak for a time. Every day until I moved to California, I remember my mom either talking with Fay on the phone or gossiping in our living room. Fortunately for me, one of Fay's daughters also moved to California 10 years later, so I still had the chance to spent time with her when she came from Montreal to visit Ellie and her grandchildren. Before mom passed away, I would drive her and my aunt down to see Fay. After mom passed away, my aunt and I would go down.

I am certain that mom has been waiting in Heaven 26 years for Fay and now they are together again. I can easily envision the two of them sitting on a cloud somewhere just gossiping and catching up.

Goodbye Auntie Fay. Thanks for being part of our lives. We will always miss you.

5 comments:

Linda said...

My sympathies to you on the lose of your close family friend and aunt in every sense of the word.

I bet there is one heck of a party going on in heaven tonight now that best friends are together again!

Ralph said...

That is a loving tribute.

Patti said...

What a nice post. Sorry for your loss.

Carole Burant said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. That was my first thought, that she and your mom are now catching up on all their news:-) I had a family friend like that...I always called her my second mom...and when she passed away it really was like losing a family member. xox

the moose buyer said...

She continued to live in Montreal and was in a home up there for a couple of years so I really haven't seen her for quite some time, but reading the obituary brought so many wonderful memories came flooding back. It also sadly reminded me that now only my two Aunts (Lynn and Joan's mom and my dad's sister in Montreal)are left out of all those who shared my mom's joy when I was born 64 years ago.