Saturday, August 25, 2007

Equality - aftermath

It's absolutely amazing what a few days will do to change the attitude in a Moose Family Center. I was so upset on Tuesday that I decided to stay away for a couple of days.

The Chapter has their monthly business meeting the 4th Thursday of the month so I showed up at the lodge at 5:30. A few Moose Loyal Order brothers almost met me at the door (mostly the old timers) to explain their side of the key story. Some had excuses, others were determined to make sure I understood that the importance of the Chapter to the Lodge is very much appreciated.

Apparently at the men's meeting on Tuesday, the past Governor I had just spoken with went in with a determined attitude to correct any misconceseptions the Loyal Order officers might have as far as the position of the Chapter to the Lodge. He proceeded to remind everyone just how much our ladies do and listed some of the future fund raising plus holiday events we have coming up, providing the names of the women planning these events. He also reminded his lodge brothers that while some plans are in conjunction with the men, a few events are being planned souly by the Chapter. He also reminded everyone that all the children holiday parties (Halloween, Christmas) are the handled and paid for exclusively by the Chapter.

He must have been very eloquent because after the meeting, our Governor told our Senior Regent that he was not going to keep his appliance keys. Only the Kitchen Chairman and lodge administrator would have keys.

In my conversations with the men last night, I explained that it wasn't the locking which upset me (whoever is taking food has great taste because what's been missing are steaks and tri tip), it was the fact that it was perceived that only the men are responsible enough to have keys, which to me was insulting and degrading to the Chapter. Some of the men apologized while other put blame on others which I found very funny.

So where do we go from here? Hopefully some of the new Loyal Order men have learned exactly how valuable the Chapter is to the lodge. I sincerely hope they also understand how insensitive they appeared. The past Governors have promised they will present stronger Moose orientiation to the new members so that future officers will understand the necessity of responsibility sharing. As of now, life has returned to normal. Hopefully this short lesson will be remembered for a while and our lodge can continue growing and thriving.

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Clearly, your opinion of these men, really matter to them. They must hold you in high esteem.

Linda said...

Glad to hear that progress was made in a forward direction. Obviously the Chapter means a lot of the men.

Joan said...

It seems you have great powers of persuasian Ms. Moose Buyer and it's a good thing too! Those men would be lost without the Chapter and you!

Michele said...

Excellent. Job well done, my friend!

Ralph said...

I guess that we underestimate the craving for power in organizations, if not just raw power at lease being the lead dog. It is funny when the blame is pointed (and I've met enough men that are quite quick in absolving themselves of any faux pas). Always stand your ground for what is right...

Patti said...

congratulations Moosie on the great progress the Chapter has made.

the moose buyer said...

Thanks everyone for your wonderful support. I love this Moose lodge but love the Chapter I helped creat even more and I will fight to make sure each woman is fairly treated. I have,however, also been known to fight for the men in our lodge also when I believe something is not fair.