Friday, August 3, 2007

Another Hawaiian function

I have been invited by another Moose Family Center to their Hawaiian party on August 25th. This will be the third one in a very short time (our own special one on July 14th, plus some good friends' 50th wedding anniversary last weekend). Unfortunately I only have one Hawaiian shirt and obviously everyone has already seen it (why doesn't anyone have Canadian parties - I could go at least 8 times without wearing the same shirt twice) so I decided to bite the bullet and see if I can find something new to wear.

I live in a relatively small town (70,000)which has a Target, K-Mart and Ross Dress for less. I have tried all three without any luck at the Target or K-mart. I did find a very nice outfit at Ross yesterday but it's a long black skirt and dressy blazer to match, which fit perfectly but unless I paint flowers (even if it was possible, I draw like I do stuff on computers) on them, they aren't going to do me any good for this party, but absolutely super for parties in the winter.

There are a few specialty women's shops in town so tomorrow I will canvass them. I guess I was mistaken when I thought once the weight dropped it would be easier to shop for whatever clothes I need. Regular work clothes have been pretty easy to find but obviously the stores must think only very skinny civilians should be allowed to wear bright color Hawaiian outfits.

I guess if push comes to shove, I can once more drag out my favorite (and only) shirt or I can pin an orchid to the top of one of my Maple Leaf Canadian shirts and pretend that I was born in Montreal Hawaii.

7 comments:

Linda said...

Too bad you couldn't just find yourself a nice flower lei somewhere and adorn yourself with that over your Maple Leafs shirt. You could then call yourself a Canadian tourist in Hawaii!

Good luck with the shirt hunt!

Patti said...

Moosie:Linda has a good idea there! Find a flower lei and go as a tourist.
And have fun! That's the most important part.

Joan said...

Your Hawaiian shirt quest unfortunately is a few months late. Yes I know it's still summer but have you noticed that all the stores now have their fall clothes displayed? I'm with Linda too...just make sure you have a camera around your neck for that true tourist look.

Lynn said...

I think the brillant suggestions have been taken. Flower lei, camera. I say go with that.

Michele said...

Yep, all wonderful suggestions... I agree with them all. You can't go wrong with the lei, and the camera and a great Hawaiian attitude!! Sounds like a lot of fun!!

the moose buyer said...

I can still go as a tourist but I found a great flower shirt today in one of the shops. It was only a little costly ($24.00) but absolutely worth it. Now I can only hope that Hawaiian parties stay in fashon next year too. The black outfit I found at Ross was a great bargain and I will be able to mix and match other winter fuctions so I figure I am ahead.

Midlife Mom said...

Great find! Don't you just love it when you find something to wear that you need for a certain function! I hate having to look for something and I have a deadline, seems like I find things more when I am just browsing for recreation!