Friday, January 4, 2008

Life in the dark

Last week when I was undecorating, I noticed some of my outside lights had gone out. I figured it was the string but I was wrong. When I pulled into my driveway last night, the security lights didn't come on either. I thought that it would be a quick fix. Just go into the breaker box and flip the switch, so I grabbed a flashlight from the car and looked into the breaker box. The previous owner of the house had conveniently listed what the switches covered, so I flipped the switch which said outside lights and bathrooms.

BIG BIG MISTAKE. The security lights came on, so I was sure everything was working, but I was so wrong. When I went into the bathroom and turned on the lights - NOTHING HAPPENED. I said a few not so nice words under my breath, again grabbed the flashlight and went back out to the box where I proceeded to flip the switch back and forth, hit the reset button as instructed in the notes and went back into the house to check on the bathroom lights (both bathroom are obviously on the same circuit because both are not working). Again NOTHING. I was in the dark both literally and figuratively in the bathroom, however, the security lights work perfectly. I have a small night light in the bathroom which comes on when the power is off so I was not completely in the dark but showering this morning was an interesting experience.

Fortunately, one of our Moose members is an electrician and I called him this morning to explain what happened. He has agreed to drop by the house on his way to the Lodge tonight to have a look see. I sure hope he can easily fix whatever is wrong. The thought of showering in the dark really doesn't appeal to me.

UPDATE:

all is well. Turns out this breaker is tough to work and my friend said he had to jiggle it a while but he got it fixed. Sometimes it's good to be a Moose member when something needs a quick fix.

5 comments:

Joan said...

Well...with the rain coming down right now, you could always stand outside during daylight hours and take your shower. :~)

Hope you get your electrical problems fixed ASAP!!!

Patti said...

sorry to hear about your electrical woes..it's evening now so I hope it's being worked on by your friend.

Lynn said...

I hope your electrician friend can fix your light woes. I wouldn't like showering in the dark either.

Midlife Mom said...

I don't think I would want to shower in the dark either! I hate it when the power is out, it seems like there is nothing to do. Hope your friend got it all fixed for you!!!

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm glad that your power is fixed. I'm with midlife mom about hating having the power out.