Friday, January 25, 2008

Too much rain

It's Friday afternoon at 4:30 and I am ready to go home. It's been a horrible week between having a cold plus being cold and wet. We have had more rain in the last two days than we have had the past 2 years and we still have three more days to go. It's also been cold (well for Southern California) and the snow level is down to 2000 feet causing problems for anyone trying to travel from So California to No. California. Wednesday night hundreds of cars got stuck on the 5 freeway at the infamous grapevine because the snow was too deep and there was no way to back up or go into the southbound lanes. One of our employees was stuck in his truck for 4 hours until the Highway Patrol bull dozer cut a path through the snow from the northbound lane to the southbound lane. He was lucky because he was in an area where he could follow the bull dozer. Any of the cars stuck on top of the pass were there until the next day because even the bull dozer couldn't get through there. All the motels in the area were full up because not even the 18 wheelers could get through the pass.

On my way home yesterday, there was one section of the freeway where it was raining so hard in a 20 minute span that all 4 lanes of the freeway were flooded so the Highway Patrol stopped all of us for a half hour until the rain let up and the freeway could drain. The rain was so heavy that I could not see the car stopped in front of me. My usual 45 minute drive took almost 2 hours.

Fortunately, it's Friday and I won't have to go anywhere for the next two rain days which are supposed to be worse than the last 2 days.

On top of everything, I still have the last gasp of the cold I had. Using fewer tissues but still a little clogged up.

As I write this, I can hear the rain on our company roof. Oh well, it's going to be a long long drive home tonight also.

6 comments:

Beemoosie said...

I love your moose...what is a moose buyer??
It's been a lovely visit! Hope you stop by my neck of the woods sometime!

Patti said...

I guess I won't tell you it's a sunny day here in CT. Cold, but sunny.

Hope the driving wasn't too treacherous last night.

Patti said...

I meant to say I guess I shouldn't tell you it's sunny!

I'll be OK

Joan said...

Glug, glug. Throw me that inner tube.

the moose buyer said...

beemoose - I am an electronics buyer by trade but I belong to the Women of the Moose and the Moose you see in the picture is one I purchased on behalf of our Moose Lodge, hence the name MooseBuyer. Thanks for stopping by and I will stop by your blog too.

Joan, you don't need no stinkin tube, I know you can swim. We learned how to at the same place.

Ralph said...

But isn't rain most welcome in the semi-arid SoCal? No drought this summer in your desert area. Much like where it snows, lots of snowy precip in the winter seems to lessen any summer droughts. much like your winter rains...