Monday, January 21, 2008

one game away

The pro footballl games yesterday were the most exciting ones I have seen in a very long time. Not having a team to root for or be heartbroken for is truly an advantage. All 4 teams suffered the horrible cold conditions like true troopers, and I really wish all could go to the super bowl but unfortunately only two teams can compete. Having lived in Quebec, I also know just how cold the players were, but watching both games, one could hardly tell how difficult it was for the players to do their jobs.

Even though I love the game, I have a hard time watching these types of games where it's that cold. I don't mind the mud games or even the games where it's snowing but I feel uncomfortable watching the games where the players are freezing, and that's why I feel real sympathy for the losing teams. Having only the super bowl to look foward to has now put me in stage 2 of football withdrawl depression.

To add to my misery, I have the worse cold. For the first time ever, I have Martin Luther King day off and not only do I have this miserable cold, but my Expedition failed the smog test Saturday, and it must be fixed before I can get my 2008 license plate tags which are due on March 16th, so at 8:30 this morning, I had some friends meet me at the repair shop. My mechanic isn't sure what caused the smog test failure but his wife also has an Expedition the same year as mine so I have confidence he will find the problem. While he has the SUV, I have also asked him to check the brakes because it's been a while and I drive each nite bumper to bumper down a three mile 850 foot grade into my town and I know the brakes take a beating, so I figure it's a good time to check the breaks. We expect 4 days of rain later in the week and I would hate to have the brakes fail while I am in the middle of the grade.

So here I am, stuck in the house without a vehicle. Fortunately, I have more than a few boxes of untra soft tissues and soup. Maybe if I am lucky, my mechanic will quickly find the source of the smog failure and I won't need new brakes.

Hey, I can wish, can't I???

UPDATE:

no luck on the Expedition. I needed a complete new smog whatever (I don't know crap about car wording) and new brakes. Final tally was almost $800.00. Happy I got new brakes though because we are going to have 4 days of rain and I now feel more confident driving down the grade and should have my new license registration before the due date.

5 comments:

Joan said...

Surprise, surprise...I actually watched parts of yesterday's games and found them exciting. Will wonders never cease?

And I'm so sorry to read that you now have the family "bug." At least you can't blame little ol' me since we haven't been around each other for a while. Once you're better, we'll need to change that!

Lynn said...

Oh man...that stinks that you are sick! As for your car...can't live with them, can't live without them...at least not if you live in Southern California. Glad you have nice new brakes. Did your car need a catylatic converter? That's one of the few car terms I know...I just don't know what it really refers to...sigh.

Midlife Mom said...

So sorry you've got that cold mess! It's going around here too, so far I haven't gotten it but my 91 year old FIL has it. I worry about him getting this stuff at his age.

I feel bad for the football players in such cold conditions. Most of them just aren't used to the cold so it must be awful!

Glad you got your brakes fixed!!

Hope you're feeling better soon!!

Ralph said...

Well, I was lucky because all I had to do at the emissions center was change the gas cap to pass the test...

Patti said...

Good brakes are most important, Moosie.

Today is Saturday, hope you are feeling better!