Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Sometimes the timing might be right...

I wrote a couple of weeks ago that our the Vice President of my company left here to go work for the management of our previous company, and how concerned I was what life would be like here after he was gone. So far, there has been no trauma and I am very grateful.

Last Friday, late in the afternoon, I went into Monster.com the job search web, which I do sometimes just to see what is out there. Something popped up a quarter of a mile from my house and although the job description fit, it seemed to me that the company was searching for someone less qualified than I am. After giving it 15 minutes of thought, mostly about the fact that it was so close to home, I decided it wouldn't do any harm to E-mail my resume over to them. In the E-mail I explained that I have been with this company 4 and a half years, but it's 25 miles from my house and with gasoline prices exceeding $3.50 for regular around here, it was time to consider changing to a company closer to home.

That was Friday afternoon at 4:30. Yesterday at 8:05 in the morning, the director of operations of the company was on the phone to me. He asked how soon I could come in for an interview. I explained to him that it might be tough but that I had an appointment scheduled in town on Wednesday and if he could wait the couple of days, I could be at his doorstop around 4:00. He said he would check with the others who would have also have to meet me. Within 15 minutes I received an E-mail from him confirming the 4:00 time as well as listing the names and positions of the people I would be meeting.

So there you have it. I don't know if a job change will happen. I don't know if they will accept my salary requirements, however, they should be aware approximately how much a senior buyer with my experience is worth, and if they weren't interested, I figure they wouldn't have contacted me. Stay tuned for another blog on Thursday after the interview and please start crossing those fingers and toes. Lighting a few candles wouldn't hurt either.

6 comments:

Patti said...

Sounds like you have good timing, Moosie!
I will light a candle for you tonight. ;-)

Good luck with the interview.

Patti said...

P.S. there's an award for you at my place ;-)

the moose buyer said...

Thanks for the award Patti. I have mastered pictures, and now I have to master putting the awards on my blog. So far Joan has been doing it.

Pls light enough to get me the job but not enough to set your house on fire.

Joan said...

Wow...so close to home. If it's meant to be, it will happen. You know I'll have all my digits crossed for you.

Lynn said...

Ohhh. I can hardly wait to hear how it goes. Good luck!

Michele said...

WOW! I've got butterflies in my tummy. Let us know as soon as possible.