Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sometimes the timing is wrong......

I went on the interview yesterday. The company is very small, and their procurement department is somewhat still in the dark ages, and not a very good fit for someone with my experience.

I didn't think that any company was still entering purchase orders in DOS but this company still is. Not only that but their bill of materials system (lists all the part numbers required to complete a project) is manually entered on Excel. Very primitive and slow. They are in the process of updating their systems, but this could take 2 or 3 years, and at this time in my purchasing career, I am downsizing, and not looking to help a company begin their growing.

Most important though, they cannot afford to hire someone at this time with my salary requirement. Even though the company is a mile from my house, and there would be gasoline cost savings, the salary they are offering is not nearly enough to compensate.

If I am meant to stay with my present employer, so be it. The company is great, and the compensations are greater. I will just have to buck up and accept the situation I have with my co-buyer. It's been 4 and a half years. Another 2 years won't hurt me. After all, I do have something great in the future to look forward to....RETIREMENT!!!

9 comments:

Lynn said...

If you don't try, you don't know. Good for you for going on that interview. Sorry that it didn't work out, especially since it was so close to your house.

Patti said...

sorry it wasn't the right job for you, since it was sooo close to home!

these gas prices are awful, aren't they?

the moose buyer said...

Patti, the regular gas near my office is $3.55 per gallon. That's absolutely impossible to believe and now I hear it's going to pass $4.00 pretty soon.

I have a hard time complaining because I drive a big SUV. If I want to pay lower prices I guess I should own a mini car. How does Ralph do it with his van??

Midlife Mom said...

Sorry the job wasn't what you wanted. I don't blame you for not taking it and having to go back to the old systems.

What a wonderful time with your dear friend Charlotte! I bet she is still enjoying the roses. Yellow roses are my favorite too!

Just read your comment on my last post. Someday if you are confortable with it would you tell us your experience with the bypass? I have to be honest, this weight thing is getting to me lately and I just can't seem to get a handle on it. Things are just getting tighter and tighter and I just want more and more comfort food. Sigh...... Buddy is going to start wanting me to carry HIM around pretty soon!! :o)

Carole Burant said...

I'm glad you went to the interview, even though it ends up not being what you're wanting at this point. As you say, you've lasted over 4 years at your present job...what's another 2 years?!! I know easier said than done, though. xox

the moose buyer said...

midlife, I am not sensitive about my surgery and I promise to do a blog about it. Actually Joan can too because she attended EVERY meeting and tests with me plus she was there for my surgery. She was also the one who kept asking the pertinent questions. It was wonderful having her go through it with me.

Michele said...

I'm sorry it wasn't was you had hoped for. Maybe one day something still might come up, right? You never know. Don't give up. It's those times when you aren't really looking when it hits you in the face...

(PS I love your pride for Canada. Your comments on my blog show me you have it deep within you still and it's wonderful to see that. Thank you.)

the moose buyer said...

Michele, I love the place I still consider my homeland. When I sing "Oh Canada" at Moose functions here in the USA (if there are Canadians from up north attending they sing both national anthems), I cry every time. What I love best is that they give out the words to both anthems but I don't need to read the words to either.

Joan said...

Oh well...here's what they'd say in Montreal...que sera, sera.