Monday, November 26, 2007

My Dream Village




Every year after Thanksgiving, I assemble my Christmas Village. It's not one of those name brand villages, it's just a jumble of ceramic and plastic things I have purchased over the years, and somehow it manages to become a perfect turn of the last century village. I start with my large coffee table (used to be big enough, but this year I had to add an extension table) which I place in front of my living room window, and put white stryofoam on the bottom, then add assorted white boxes and hard foam around the outside edge to create different levels for the Victorian houses (I think I have 8 or 9 at least). On the right hand side I place the skating pond (mirror with people on it) in front and carosel (musical 10 songs - lighted and the horses turn) behind the park. In the middle, I have the train station with the train in front, city hall with clock tower behind the train station then people and lights all around. I have a horse pulled carriage, a coffee vendor, benches, trees etc. On the left hand side (where you can't see in the picture) I have a band playing and above that a horse pulled sleigh with people. All the houses light up. The first picture was taken behind the table, the 2nd one from the left hand side.
It's very relaxing for me to put it together, moving pieces around to fit, making what I would consider the perfect place to live. When I get home at night, I turn on the lights so that people passing by can see it.
I was thinking this year that maybe after the holidays, I may leave it up all winter. It's so pretty and calming, I just like to stand there and imagine what it would be live to live in such a place. Pretty darn good I think.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

This goes to show, we are never to old to play house. I never realized that you were such a decorator.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love it! Absolutely you should leave it up - at least during the darkest days like January. Then spark it with red highlights for Valentines. I love town scenes, too. Sigh.

the moose buyer said...

Like my cousin Lynn says it's probably a way for me to justify playing house.

Joan said...

I just love Christmas village settings. I wish I had the storage space to create one of my own. I guess I'll live vicariously through yours!

Carole Burant said...

I sooo love your village, how delightful it is!! Love the way you've set it all up and like you, I always dream of actually living in a setting like that:-) There's no reason why you can't leave it up all winter...if it brings you happiness and peace, go for it!! xox