Monday, July 16, 2007

What a great Moose weekend it was!

Well, I am still recovering since I was up very early three mornings in a row. It was my responsibility to bring bagels and cream cheese to the lodge so that everyone could have breakfast at 8:00 AM. Others brought muffins and fruit. We also had orange juice and the most important drink COFFEE!!! For lunch we had "make your own" sandwich, salad, chips and dessert. I couldn't eat so I walked around mingling, renewing friendships and confirming that everyone was having a good time.

Approximately 60 women attended the session. The Moose International organization just completed our International convention in Orlando and many changes were announced. Not all were well received so it was up to our California/Nevada officers to present the changes and explain why they were necessary. It took all Saturday morning, but once everyone understood the reasoning behind the changes and the idea of hoping to appeal to younger women so that we can keep increasing our membership, most agreed that the changes are necessary. Once the work part was out of the way, we were ready to party and just have fun. I think at least 15 prizes were given out, some were door prizes but others were won for winning games or for catching the officers if they made an error when providing information. All was done in good humor with everyone joining in the laughter.

Saturday night, we had our Hawaiian chicken and rice dinner which was very successful then we had some Hawaiian hula competition. One of our members was raised in Hawaii and knew how to hula. She agreed to perform then offered to teach it to the others. Talk about good sports!!! The 6 senior Officers in attendance performed their version in grass skirts. Professional dancers have nothing to fear from this competition. After they did their dance, everyone was invited to come up and give it a try and I think about 20 gave it a try. Very entertaining and very funny. There was a lot of good teasing and laughter. The members who prefered Country Western line dancing also had the opportunity to do their thing and we even had some great karioke. Everyone had a great time, no one wanted to leave, but we all knew that we had to be up bright and early Sunday morning, so we grugingly broke the party up near 11:00.

Sunday morning we finished up our Moose business then played games, gave out more prizes (about 30 in all for the weekend plus everyone got to take home a goody bag) and the meeting closed at 10:30. Some will see each other at convention in September but others like me (I used my vacation for Iowa) won't have to chance to meet until next February, so goodbyes were tough with many tears and hugs.

I love this organization and the women (and men) who belong. We are dedicated to the "Service to Children" concept which is what the Loyal order of Moose and Women of the Moose are all about. Our officers are super loving women who lead by example and having this opportunity to share the fun with them in an informal setting really keeps everyone reminded why we all volunteer so hard to keep our Moose family centers alive and thriving.

10 comments:

Michele said...

Wow, this sounds like an amazing organization and if I could I would sign up right now! Service to children... perfect rule to live by, I love it!
It sounds as if it was a successful event and everyone had fun! The hula competition would've been a blast! I love it when I see people attempting to dance the hula... it always makes me giggle... thanks for the update... my hats off to all of you that dedicate yourself to volunteer to this outstanding organization!

Patti said...

I agree the hula competition must have been really funny.
It's good to have a few "belly laughs" isn't it?

Midlife Mom said...

What a great weekend you all had! I would have loved to have seen the hula competition! I've been to conventions where they have done that and it is a howl! I've never had the courage to get up there and try it but my DIL is taking lessons now for the exercise. I don't think I will be joining her! heehee! I'm so glad you had such a good time and you will be looking forward to the next one! :0)

Ralph said...

What a wonderful weekend! Your hard work preparing for and hosting the event paid off.

Lynn said...

Sounds like you had a blast. Did you get up and do the hula? If so, I want to see the video...or at least the pictures.

the moose buyer said...

Lynn my baby cousin, you really think I would get up there and ruin my dignity reputation? Heck no, I don't have one ounce of rythem and I know it. Besides I was the MC of the evening. Talk I can do a lot of!!!

Everyone - yes it was a blast and all that planning when I should have been concentrating on my work did really pay off.

Anonymous said...

It was a fantastic weekend - Camarillo Co-workers were the perfect hostesses. For the gal who expressed interest in joining, I am sure there is a Moose Lodge near you - go check it out! You can go to the Moose International website and there is a lodge locater there. It will also give you more info on our wonderful organization! Everyone have a great day!

Joan said...

Sounds like everyone had a whopping good time! Congratulations to you and your fellow lodge members!!!

Travelin'Oma said...

I have never heard of this organization! It sounds like a great cause. Thanks for visiting my blog. I always appreciate comments!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

sounds smashing...

smiles, bee