Thursday, July 5, 2007

Thinking about Christmas......

You are probably wondering why I am thinking about Christmas when it's only July. This morning on the radio, I heard that Hollywood is thinking about cancelling the annual Hollywood Christmas parade (held the Sunday after Thanksgiving) due to lack of funds.

Although the parade is not as famous as the Rose Parade January 1, it is a 50 year old tradition. I am not even sure it's televised nationally but many stars participate (riding on floats, on old convertibles), plus there are high school and college bands from all over the country. Thousand of people line the famous streets of Hollywood to say they were part of this wonderful event and if I am not mistaken, Lynn, Joan and I even went down to watch the parade one year a very long time ago.

Hollywood has hit on hard times lately. The famous Hollywood sign has just been rebuilt with donated money, since it was hanging precariously down the mountain and desperately needed a new paint job. The even more famous Hollywood Blvd and Vine corner is being rejuvinated by the city because lately it hasn't been the safest corner for the many tourists who visit the Grauman Chinese theatre to look at the movie star footprints and the mile walk of fame stars down the the sidewalks, and to be honest, the whole neighborhood was looking shabby. This is where the city is investing these days.

Bottom line, the city just doesn't have enough money to foot the bill for the parade, and they are desperately looking for corporate sponsers or wealthy members of the community to share the cost.

While I was listening this morning I had a brilliant idea. When Paris Hilton got out of jail last week, she promised to turn over a new leaf and contribute to charity. Wouldn't it be great if she supported something this special in her home town. How sad so many kids and adults will be if this parade is cancelled and how great would she come off making the parade happen just by contributing money.

I hope someone mentions the need to Paris and the rest of the Hilton family or some other corporate sponser comes up with the cash to fund this wonderful Hollywood tradition. It would truly be a loss to this famous city if the parade must be cancelled.

7 comments:

Ralph said...

Moose, that seems to be the malaise of the Company Town, many of the players don't seem to care like they did. Yet, tourists still flock to the area, but the locals have to care about the place. It seems that the glamourous aura of the old Hollywood is fading, does anyoune there care?

Joan said...

OK...it's 100+ degrees right now and you're thinking about Christmas?!?!? I guess a little wishful thinking couldnt hurt. Oh...and I remember going to the Rose Parade but not the Hollywood Parade...have I lost my mind????

Patti said...

Wonder how regular folks can contact Paris' people to suggest this...

Lynn said...

We definitely slept out on the Rose Bowl parade route one year...not the Hollywood parade, which in my deprived life, I have never attended. sigh.

Anonymous said...

I must be getting old. I remember going to the Hollywood parade but if it wasn't with you guys, who the heck went with me.

Yes, I do remember the Rose Parade too. We went so many places I guess I am mixing them all together. we did have fun exploring when you guys got here.

Rick Rockhill said...

what a great idea! I usually go to the Hollywood Christmas Parade. In fact last year I chatted with Dick Van Patten at the parade.

anyway, great blog-stop by and say hi sometime

Michele said...

Heh, that's a great idea to get the Hilton family to fund the parade. But you know, I have a feeling with this traditional parade and the history of this event, it won't be cancelled. I am sure someone out there will put money down and keep this going but I really do like your take on having Paris Hilton foot the costs for the parade though...