Saturday, December 1, 2007

A loving tribute to my brother Frank.

The call we all dread came to me at 8:00 this morning, Saturday December 1, 2007. One of my brother's co-workers was on the phone telling me the most horrible thing one can hear. My beloved baby brother had a massive heart attack and passed away just a few minutes before. He was just 61 years old as of May 11th. He didn't suffer, he had mild ache and called a friend who took one look at him and immediately called 911. The paramedics realized immediately what was happening and gave him a dose of morphine to ease his discomfort. By the time they got to the hospital, it was too late. His heart had just given out. There was no previous warning. It was the first and only heart problem, and it just gave out too soon.

My brother lived life to the fullest. He loved good food and was a wonderful amature chef, specializing in Oriental cooking. Like me, he was severely overweight and diabetic, but unlike me, he absolutely refused to have the stomach bypass I had a year and a half ago. When we were together in Iowa in June, I discussed the surgery with him, encouraging him to considering having it, but when he saw the amount of food I could have, not to mention the type of food, he waved his hand at my plate and commented that he loved his good food too much to live with my diet. Just like my dad, Frank chose his favorite lifestyle which always included rich food. Also like my dad, Frank suffered the exact same fate. The only difference was 8 years. Dad was 70 when he passed on. I know Frank understood the consequences of his actions. I just think he figured he had the same amount of time and I will always be grateful he planned to spend that time with me.

Frank was an absolute joy to be around. He had a wonderful sense of humor and everyone loved to be around him, including my friend's grandkids. We were planning on retiring in Iowa together in the next couple of years. He was really looking forward to spending time with me and our friends. This will not be, but I take comfort in knowing he was as anxious as I was to just be together again.

Frank travelled a lot for his company. He returned Tuesday from his latest trip and, fortunately managed to call our Aunt ( Lynn and Joan's mom). He also spoke with both of them. He also called me, something he did before and after every trip. We chatted about the snow in Iowa and how we would both be housebound for 3 months a year once we moved there. It was a light and cheerful conversation. His last three words before we ended the conversations were "I love you".

Joan and I will be accompanying my newphew Brian to Georgia, where Frank lived, tomorrow morning. We will help Brian with the arrangements and try to ease his pain in losing his dad.

So goodby baby brother. Thanks for sharing my life. Thanks for taking the blame and the punishment for my childhood misdeeds and most important, thanks for loving me., and always making sure that I never could question your love for me right to the very end.

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Reading this is making me cry all over again...Know that I am here for you. My thoughts and prayers will follow you all to Georgia and I will be with you when he is brought back to California and finally laid to rest. B.....d!

Renee Nefe said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Have a safe flight to Georgia and remember all the good times.

Carole Burant said...

As you say, that was a call everyone dreads ever receiving. My deepest sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your brother. At least you know that he loved his life and although he may have not made the right choices, it was HIS choices...I'm glad you got to talk to him before it happened. Thinking of you. xoxo

Ralph said...

I am so sorry. We started as seven, and are down to five, and it was never quite the same...and age doesn't make things like this any easier. This is such a shame...

meno said...

I can't imagine the pain of losing my brother. I am so sorry that you have to feel that pain, and that everyone who loved him does too.

Patti said...

Ina,
I'm so sorry to read about your loss. What a shock for you to have to go through. It's wonderful you were able to have that nice trip to visit him last summer. I remember that trip well!
I'm glad you had a chance to talk to him the other day.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

P.S. I just read your note to me from Nov. 19 - thank you much. I've been away much too long.

Have a safe trip back home.