Monday, January 29, 2007

LOCATION IS EVERYTHING

A very good friend had stomach bypass surgery last Tuesday at one of the better Los Angeles Hospitals. Including me, we now have a group of 5 who have had the surgery in the past two years (don't forget we are Moose members and the slogan is "it's all about food"). The only difference between our surgeries is the doctors and hospitals. The other 4 have horror stories, not of the results of the surgery, but the hospital stay mainly. I on the other hand really lucked out because I don't have one single complaint about Huntington Memorial Hospital.

When I first considered having the surgery, I found a doctor in my area. After attending his seminar, I decided to stick with him, however, my insurance didn't agree. They had no objection to the surgeon, they took exception to the hospitals in my county. which they didn't consider qualified to do bariatric surgery. The insurance company insisted I have the surgery at Huntington Memorial in Pasadena which is known as a center of excellence. It's also 50 miles from my home. I fought this vigorously, contacting not only the insurance company, but also my employer representative to no avail. Finally I decided not to fight it and found a surgeon in Pasadena where my cousin and I attended his lecture. Fortunately it was exactly as the surgeon in my county's seminar, and I immediately set an appointmet to start the process. I will address the surgery and results in a later blog. This particular blog is about the difference in hospitals and care.

Back to my friend who had the surgery Tuesday. The hospital is a very well known Los Angeles Hospital. He was admitted after a lengthy process. After the surgery, it took 6 hours to place him in his room (the hospital was short beds apparently). When he requested water something very necessary, the nurse told him he would have to wait and then reminded him that he chose to have this surgery. Apparently, this hospital considers bariatric surgery an elective, not exactly required. When he was released two days later, his incisions were not covered or protected and he began to bleed and had to buy his own bandages and tape to cover the wounds. All my other friends had similar horror stories, some weren't given enough information on how to react after the surgery, and others were not prepared mentally for a month of liquids only and to give up food we always took for granted. This caused depression until they came to grips with their future and their choices. It was very tough on all of them.

I, on the other hand, was prepared by my Doctor for everything. The Doctor walked my cousin (she has been a rock though this and has attended every appointment with me) and I though the entire process before and after. He informed me exactly what to expect every step of the way and told me exactly how my body would react.

The best part was actually the pre-surgery and post surgery. The night before my surgery, I had the opportunity to stay at the hospital where they have a hotel in the hospital. This gives one the opportunity to check in the night before. They also give a certificate for dinner, but since was on liquid in preparation for the surgery, I declined this gift. In the morning, they wheeled me down to the pre-operation room where I met all the people who would be involved. It was a very comforting feeling. After the surgery, I was in my room within 15 minutes, water on the table beside me in a little 1 oz cup, just as required. My incisions were covered in with a product called "second skin" which allows no bleeding and, therefore, no bandages or stitches. All very clean and pain free. The next day, my doctor examined me before 10:00 and gave me permission to not only go home but he also said I could start driving the next day. Within two days I was out and about and a week later attended a Moose convention in Irvine.

The bottom line is that Huntington Memorial is called a center of excellence for this type of surgery for a very good reason. Everything and everyone on the third floor is geared especially for bariatric surgery. The nurses are trained to understand exactly what the patients are going through. The beds are made for people up to 1000 pounds and so are the wheelchairs. The feeling of comfort and acceptance is everywhere. It's a very warm, fuzzy and safe hospital. These words are not usually associated with hospitals but that's exactly how I felt the entire time from the first tests until I walked out the door the day after surgery unlike my friends who have had to negotiate the minefield alone. Fortunately we have a very strong mentor group together and share all the good and bad information.

As I said, location is everything. I consider myself very lucky that my insurance company insisted on Huntington Memorial. This experience has not been painful in the least and now that I have lost all this weight, I am grateful every day . I am especially grateful for my surgeon and this wonderfull hospital.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Location, location, location...So now it's hospitals as well as real estate? As frustrating as it was at the time(I know that both you and "your cousin") would have preferred a more geographically desirable hospital), I am so glad that your experience, so far, has been positive (even if it is still geographically undesirable)...at the same time I am sorry for your friends, that it hasn't been such a good experience. p.s. You should share your blog with your doctor.