Wednesday, January 24, 2007

TOO MANY CANDIDATES

I have been watching all the potential candidates announce their intention to apply for permission to form an exploratory committee to run for President of the United States - I think 10 at last count,including Hillary and Obama (would you choose a President whose name sound like Osama Ben Laden), and a few other famous people have announced that they have filed the infamous application to form an exploratory committee. I kept wondering if all these people really believe they have a shot at being President until I found out what it takes to file.

I was watching the news the other night and one of the reporters visited the Government office where the filing is done. All it takes to file an application to form an exploratory committee to run for President is $37.50. The manager of the office said they usually get at least 1000 applications, however, most are people who want to impress their family and friends by showing them a piece of paper with their name on, indicating they are thinking of running for President of the United States.

It got me thinking. I can afford $37.50, and I am sure I can come up with enough friends and family members to form an exploratory committee and I might even be qualified to be President. Didn't a peanut farmer named Jimmy Carter and George W, the former owner of a baseball team make it? I love peanuts and I love baseball so right there I qualify! Why shouldn't I add my name to the many people already on the application train for the White House?

There is one catch - isn't there is always a catch with Government? In order to qualify for President of the United States there are actually only 2 manditory requirements. The person must be at least 36 years of age (hey I'm good there with a few extra years to spare) and must be born in the Unites States or it's territories. Oh oh....Canada isn't a territory of the United States yet!!! My application won't even make it across the desk before it's tossed in the round file. Well there goes all my ambition for higher office. Now there will only 1010 potential candidates.

Maybe I still have a chance to achieve a top position. I wonder how much it costs to fill out an application to form an exploratory committee to run for Prime Minister???

This blog is dedicated to my favorite Republican Freda Saller who encouraged me to become an American so that I could vote for my favorite candidate.

4 comments:

Joan said...

Are you absolutely sure Canada isn't a territory of the good ol' USA? Oh wait...now I need a passport to fly across the border...I guess we never did get around to annexing our northern neighbor. Oh well...no presidency for you!

Joan said...

Wow...a day without someone else announcing they're running for President. How remarkable!

Anonymous said...

Maybe next week there will be more candidates since it's not very expensive to apply. I guess it might be a problem if they can't find enough people to form a committee

Lynn said...

Did you say it only costs $37.50???Where do I sign up? Actually since I'm still working maybe you can get Joan or Rick to run...