Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Mamas and the Papas

One of my favorite groups (among many) was always the Mamas and the Papas. The harmony in their music was perfect although it turned out after only 2 short years, the harmony in their lives was not and they broke up. Nonetheless, they managed to creat the perfect sound which allowed them many number one hits. Even though the group broke up in 1969, their songs are still played and enjoyed, and not too long ago the PBS channel aired a program about them.

Today the third member of the group passed away. Cass died at a much too young age in the early 70's and John in the 90"s. I mourn Denny's passing more than I did the others. Maybe it was because he was Canadian, maybe it's just because the group was part of my youth and wonderful memories. No matter, I mourn Denny's passing today like a close friend. Of course, I never actually met any of them but still it's a loss of a time gone past but not forgotten. Now Michelle is the only member still with us and I imagine her loss is even more biting.

I thank these wonderful people for giving us the perfect sound and wish Michelle a continued and, hopefully, happy life. She definitely deserves it for the joy she gave all of us.

No comments: