Thursday, March 6, 2008

I think I heard a laugh...

It's been almost a week since my co-buyer went out for surgery. She will be out for 3 weeks. I wrote about her a couple of blogs ago and hoped that while she was out, the demeanor of the department would relax and it has quite a bit. There is more interaction between us buyers, more verbal discussions about work (usually we just e-mail so that we don't make any noise) and other co-workers who don't work in this department seem to be coming down more often to chat which absolutely facinates me since our boss is still here, within hearing range and one would think that if the department head were out people would be more relaxed but it seems to be our co-buyer being out which has made everyone more friendly.

This morning, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I actually heard laughter coming down the hall. I am not just talking a minor chuckle but a regular "I think this is funny" laughter from one of the guys. I am sure it probably really doesn't have anything to do with the fact that my co-buyer isn't here, but it also seems more than a co-incidence and it was really quite a refreshing sound. How sad that I even have to think this way.

We have two and a half more weeks. It will be interesting to see what the rest of her time out from the office brings and even more interesting to see if we revert back to our old stoic, silent, grumpy selves once she returns. Stay tuned for further reports!!!

4 comments:

Patti said...

I will stay tuned. At least your other co-workers sound fine. She must be incredibly tough to be around.

the moose buyer said...

oh Patti, you have no idea how tough she is to be around. Her negative personality is so strong that even our boss is intimidated by her. I know this is terrible to say but one of the men spoke to her yesterday and apparently she is in incredible pain and sad to say it made me smile. All I could think was maybe that will keep her out longer. How awful am I to feel that way??

Carole Burant said...

Isn't it sad that one person can affect the mood of the staff so much?!! It's bad enough having to go to work without being afraid to laugh or be lighthearted...maybe you'll be lucky and she'll have to stay away to recover longer than first thought! lol xox

Patti said...

Moosie,
My first thought is what goes around, comes around.

You're not awful; you're being honest about how you feel.