Friday, March 2, 2007

oh where oh where has my Dali gone??

Last month I was channel surfing and I came upon an art auction. Normally I don't buy things from television, but this was so facinating, I just watched people bid on signed Picasso lithographs plus other items by artists I have never heard of. Everything auctioned received bids but most were abstract items which didn't appeal to me and besides, I really couldn't afford most of the items once the bids became quite high. There was a one minute countdown on each item and whoever had the bid when the bell rang, was the winner, even if there were higher bids. This seemed to be fair to me so I kept watching as 15 items were auctioned.

After a while, a signed Dali was shown and it caught my interest. After 45 seconds passed, the bidding was still within my reach so I picked up the phone and dialed the number on the screen. A very friendly young man answered the phone with 55 seconds to go. I placed my bid then held my breath while the last 5 seconds counted on the television. I had won the bid!!! I was overjoyed. I too would have a Dali of my very own.

Two weeks later, I received a letter from the Art Auction company indicating shipment a week earlier. Unfortunately I had not received it. I tracked the UPS shipment by the number indicated in the letter. The shipment was signed for by someone I did not know. I immediately called the phone number on the letter. The same young man answered. When he heard my name, he immediately told me that after sending out the letter, they realized the painting had been sent along with other merchandise to another customer and tracking had already begun.

That was about 4 days ago. Today, I received a call from UPS indicating they are having trouble locating my painting. UPS does accept responsibility for losing it and have notified the art company who also called me. The person who signed the UPS receipt is a big customer, and has so many paintings, he can't find mine. It must be nice to have that problem. I just want the "one" painting I picked.

The company indicates if they can't find mine they will offer an alternate (I didn't like the other choices which were abstracts) or return my money. I think I am just as entitled to own a piece of art even if I am not in the "money" bracket. I just hope my Dali can find it's way home to me.

3 comments:

Joan said...

Call me paranoid but why do I think this entire episode is some kind of art scam??? If I were you, I'd just ask for my money back ASAP. I'm guessing their "alternate" paintings aren't worth the money.

Lynn said...

I agree with Joan...something is fishy in Denmark.

Anonymous said...

I too would think it was a scam if UPS hadn't called me. She was in the office in Thousand Oaks near where I used to work.

I will wait a few days then call the Art Company again. If I don't receive satisfaction, I will call the credit card company which offers a 30 day receipt guarantee and report it.