Monday, March 26, 2007

A FRIENDLY STRANGER'S COMPLIMENT

A friendly stranger is someone you don't know but who you see every day. It could be someone you see at your bus or train stop, someone you who passes by you as you run every day, someone who lives in your neighborhood who smiles and waves to you as you pass by in your car on the way to work. In other words, someone you have never spoken to, except maybe a good morning but who has become so familiar daily that if they aren't where they are supposed to be, you wonder if they are ok.

I have a few friendly strangers I see at the only restaurant in my work area. We stand in line, mumble a good afternoon but that's about it. Today, one woman stopped me as I walked towards her and commented on my amazing weight loss and how good I look. I explained that I had the stomach bypass last year and that's why I have lost the weight. She said that she finally realized it about 5 months ago but was hesitant to comment in case I was losing the weight because of illness but watching me walk with a bouncy step, she figured that I wasn't sick and it was safe for her to say something.

This was the first compliment from someone other than a family member or friend and it was a wonderful feeling to have someone I really don't know notice the difference. I am grateful that she took the time to stop me. Sometimes friendly strangers if they do speak, say just the right thing.

4 comments:

Joan said...

I absolutely agree with you...it's nice to hear nice things from family and friends but it's a heck of a lot better when it comes from a stranger. Keep up the good work!

Lynn said...

Thanks for the reminder about how important a kind word can be... even to a stranger. I bet you had even more of a bounce to your step after her comment.

Patti said...

I just love the term "friendly stranger."
It's so nice to get a compliment, isn't it? I understand the woman's dilemma, though, thinking at first you might have been sick.

Most people I know would fall under the category of "strange friends."

;-)

Anonymous said...

I've never forgotten the lady in her car who rolled down the window and told me I should always wear that color 'cause I looked great! An ordinary day coming out of the drugstore. I, too, was bouncy for the rest of the day, so you go, girl, and enjoy!