Thursday, March 5, 2009

When you wish upon a star

I am sorry I haven't posted in a long time but I could not get myself motivated. Now, however, things are looking up here at work. For one thing I have moved to a new neighborhood within the same company I have been working at the past 5 and a half years. If you have read past blogs, you know that one of my co-workers has treated me since day one with distain (to be nice) and sarcastic remarks. I have never complained about her (well this blog doesn't count) to management, but anyone could see what my life has been like.

About 6 months ago my company hired a woman to do contract negotiations and to look into consolidating stuff not related to production. She was given a manager title which made my co-buyer absolutely nuts when it was announced by our purchasing director. Needless to say, her discomfort absolutely made my day. I, of course, didn't care what title this person had. I only hoped she would be someone nice and a friendly face in my hostile environment.

"D" (I will call her this from now on) and I hit it off immediately (maybe the fact that we live in the same town about 20 miles from work had something to do with it). For a while we drove together, however she had kid obligations and my early hour was inconvenient for her but here at the office, we maintained a close friendly relationship.

Although business has been down, things are still good enough to keep all employees, so I was surprised when our Director called me into his office a month ago, and informed me that he was, with my permission, transferring me to work under the direction of "D" because she has too many projects and needs help. I managed to maintain a "cool" demeanor even though my mind was cheering madly, and informed him I would be happy to work anywhere in the company I was needed. He did inform me, however, that even though I would be working for "D", I would still be purchasing the products for the other departments as I had been doing the past three years. I love what I do, and this type of purchasing is what won me the "employee of the month award" in June (see Best Surprise in a long time 7/20/08), so I readily agreed to keep this assignment.

"D's" cubicle is on the other side of our building, away from the rest of us, so in my mind, I kept hoping that I, too would be transferred over there, away from my adversary. Later in the day, I went over to thank "D" for the opportunity, and she explained why I would still be purchasing for the other departments. It seems when the other managers were informed of the changes in my status, they agreed only if I be allowed to continue providing the excellent service they had become accustomed to. How is that for a major compliment??? When the word went out, people came over to congratulate me, BUT, needless to say my co-buyer wasn't one of them. It made no difference that my cubicle was still next to her's because I was no longer actually working with her and she could no longer have any opinions regarding my work or for that matter, anything else.

Last Monday, "D" came over to my side of the building to inform me that I needed to start packing because she had finally gotten permission from management to move me over to her side effective immediately. I could hear the happy band playing, see the fireworks and balloons in my mind. She and I walked over to the other side to scope out the empty cubicles, and I was given a choice. They are all larger for one thing (the cubicles purchasing is in now were in the building when we took over but these were added as the company moved in new people) and near the windows. I picked out one on the end of the row behind "D".

It's been almost a week since I moved. My cublicle neighbors (even though there are 6 cubicles in the row, there are only three of us so it's great) are wonderful. The entire admosphere on this side of the building is completely different from my former side. Everyone in the rows behind are warm and friendly, and obviously happy to finally have me here.

So, after 5 and a half years, even though the economy won't allow me to retire in July as planned, I have a new position I love, a new wonderful boss, a new cubicle in a new neighborhood. I can't ask for better while I wait for the recession to improve, no matter how long it takes.

2 comments:

Joan said...

You see...you've proved two of my most important axioms. The first is that "patience is a virtue." The second is that "good things come to good people." I'm soooo happy for you and hope that your new "home away from home" provides lots of good times ahead.

Midlife Mom said...

Congratulations!! What a wonderful move in your company away from 'that' person! I am so happy for you, things will be so much nicer at work for you without all that negativity to deal with. I have been wondering how you were doing and came by occasionally to check and see if you had started posting again. Glad to have you back!!